Junior Chocolatier/NPD Wizard
What are we up to?
We’re developing chocolate without cacao.
Because the way most of the world’s cacao is produced and processed at the moment is unethical and environmentally f*cked.
It involves child labour and slave labour; and lots of it. And great swathes of land are being deforested to grow cacao for chocolate-eaters, and producing 1 kg of cacao beans produces around the same greenhouse gas emissions as 1 kg of cheese or lamb meat.
We’ve come up with a way of making an alternative to chocolate—that tastes, melts, grates, snaps the same—but can be made in a way that avoids these problems.
We are launching a consumer brand for our products and will also sell our products as ingredients to existing chocolate producers.
Using whole ingredients and fermentation smarts. It’s what we call “very clever cooking”: a mix of traditional techniques with some cutting-edge know-how.
Why do we need your help?
We are building out our team to develop and perfect our products.
We are looking for a Junior Chocolatier + NPD Wizard 🧙. Is that you?
If you don’t know what NPD stands for, then this role is probably not for you! Although we love to be proved wrong ;)
What you’ll do:
- Work under our Head of Production to make, test, taste and document delightful cocoa-free choc products.
- Design, develop and test our non-choc choc products. That might mean making a chocolate mousse recipe one day and a batch of chocolate gianduja logs the next.
- Prototype products in a quick, iterative fashion.
- Weigh out lots of things, taste lots of things, and make detailed notes about everything you do!
- Be involved in the production of batches of our products for sampling and for sale.
Who are you?
More than anything we want to find great people to work with. If the above resonates and sounds interesting to you, then get in touch.
However in an ideal world you—our perfect person—would:
- Have experience working with cacao and chocolate e.g. being familiar with tempering chocolate.
- Have at least 2 years experience working in an NPD role. I.e. you would have spent time developing new food products, testing recipes, helping bring products to market, and being part of a highly iterative design/creative process.
- Be creative and good at thinking outside the box.
- Be organised and timely: we run a tight, clean kitchen.
- Be familiar with using a) GoogleDocs and b) MS Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Be good at writing clear, concise notes about work you’re doing in the workshop.
- Be keen to get your hands dirty: literally, covered in chocolate, sometimes but also willing to apply yourself to new problems that you might not have faced before.
- Be open to learning new things and being good at receiving constructive feedback to guide you in your journey.
Which one of these is most important to us? Numbers 1, 4, 6 and 7.
You should also:
- Love the taste of chocolate!
- Be able to work in the UK, specifically at our HQ in London.
Most other things are negotiable but these two—unfortunately—are not!
What we’ll give you in return for your soul employment:
A competitive salary, because money makes the world go round
Lots of freedom, autonomy and responsibility
Flexible working hours
Opportunities for professional development
The chance to work with like-minded, fun people who have lots of great ideas and dreams
The chance to be one of the first employees in a quickly growing, exciting company
Our take on diversity:
WNWN for everyone.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer.
We will consider all applications equally regardless of a person’s race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.
Moreover, we actively encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in the food and food tech space to apply.
Let’s fight climate change and inequality together.
How to apply:
If the above sounds like you, then apply! What are you waiting for?
Drop us an email at email@example.com with a (thoughtful) cover letter or 1-min video and your CV. Non-traditional CVs welcome.