What are we up to?
We’re developing chocolate without cacao.
Because the way most of the world’s cacao is produced and processed at the moment is unethical and environmentally f*cked.
It involves child labour and slave labour; and lots of it. And great swathes of land are being deforested to grow cacao for chocolate-eaters, and producing 1 kg of cacao beans produces around the same greenhouse gas emissions as 1 kg of cheese or lamb.
We’ve come up with a way of making an alternative to chocolate—that tastes, melts, grates, snaps the same—but can be made in a way that avoids these problems.
We are launching a consumer brand for our products and will also sell our products as ingredients to existing chocolate producers.
Using whole ingredients and fermentation smarts. It’s what we call “very clever cooking”: a mix of traditional techniques with cutting-edge food tech.
Why do we need your help?
We are looking for a seriously kick-a** Finance Director to manage our company finances, maintain our financial reporting and inform our financial strategy. You should be passionate about numbers and how we can leverage them to accomplish our goals in a lean, fast and effective manner. You should have an entrepreneurial mindset, high ambition and the ability to work both independently and across teams. You’ll be working directly with our fabulous CEO, but liaising with all departments from sales to R&D.
Do you eat spreadsheets for breakfast?! Want to help build and grow an international brand from scratch? Want to be part of the hustle and bustle of start-up life, but with years of wisdom behind you? Well then, this could be just the thing for you! Here’s a summary of what you will do:
- Analyze our company's financial results with respect to costs, profits and compliance with budgets
- Manage cash flow and issue regular status and ad-hoc reports to senior management
- Provide strategic guidance around capital financing options to support growth needs
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including financial reporting, ensuring that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Assist senior management in financial planning/budgeting and results management, while working with the wider team to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking
- Coordinate, prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, as well as tax schedules, returns and information, with our outsourced accountants
- Manage all tax planning and compliance with all required local, national and international payroll, property and other applicable taxes
- Support the CEO with putting together documents and financial models for shareholders and investors
- Attend meetings with investors and clients as and when required
- Other finance and administrative duties as required
Who are you?
More than anything we want to find great people to work with. If all of the above sounds interesting to you, then please get in touch. However, in an ideal world you would have:
- At least 5 years of senior financial management experience
- Experience working in a fast-growth start-up or SME (F&B experience preferred)
- Experience scaling a finance operation from inception to profitable
- A degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management (CA/CMA/CFA/ACCA preferred but not essential)
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Experience in a business with activity-based project costing
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work without direct supervision, and efficiently manage tasks and time
- Previous experience in the food production industry or FMCG is ideal
- Availability to work full-time in the UK
- A love of chocolate!
What we offer in return:
- A competitive salary + stock options
- Lots of freedom, autonomy and responsibility
- Flexible working hours & location
- Opportunities for professional development
- The chance to work with like-minded, fun people who have lots of great ideas
- The chance to be one of the first employees in a fast growing, exciting company
Our take on diversity:
WNWN for everyone.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer.
We will consider all applications equally regardless of a person’s race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.
Moreover, we actively encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in the food and food tech space to apply.
Let’s fight climate change and inequality together.
How to apply:
If the above sounds like you, then apply! What are you waiting for?
Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a (thoughtful) cover letter or 1-min video and your CV. Non-traditional CVs welcome.